We are booked for the next 6 weeks, but can make space for owners concerned about a recent large quote for damp proofing treatment.
Alternatively, you may be able to solve the damp problem with reference to last months cases:
Damp Experts, independent of contractors, 11 years experience, over 2,000 damp issues solved, using a root cause approach to fixing damp without injecting chemicals.
Rising damp guarantee
How much should a damp survey cost?
Some rising damp proofing contractors make their surveys FREE, or charge and offer a refund from the profit they make from treatment.
So how contractors profit?
Some say it is by overstating the problem and therefore recommending a more disruptive and more expensive remedy than required.
What would you do if you were a contractor offering a low cost survey?
Damp from hygroscopic salts is a good example
Damp caused by hygroscopic damp is a good case in point. This is where water is bounded by salts, mainly calcium nitrate from chimney breasts. These salts are benign but an aesthetic concern, acting more like grease stains rather than damp.
But contractors and surveyors constantly misdiagnosed them as being caused by rising damp. The end result is damage to a wall, that does not necessarily fix the problem. The solution is simply to block these salts with an oil based primer.
Dry rot is another example
The only effective solution for Dry rot is to identify and eliminate the root cause of damp, yet many recommend a toxic box, a useless, expensive and destructive procedure.
What differentiates Damp Surveys Ltd?
We cover the whole of London;
- Independent from contractors. Our only income is from Damp and Timber Surveys.
- Extensive survey. Most surveys take 1 to 2 hours. We look at damp walls from every angle and if there are any doubts, will ask to see the neighbour’s side of the wall. After all rising damp rises evenly on both side of the walls.
- We take a holistic approach, tracing damp back to it’s root cause.
- Suitable qualifications with the RICS and PCA (Property Care Association).
- Satisfied customers, see Which! reviews: https://trustedtraders.which.co.uk/businesses/damp-surveys-ltd/#reviews and
CheckaTrade reviews: https://www.checkatrade.com/trades/DampSurveysLtd.
- Simon undertakes expert witness reports (price dependent on complexity) for court case and dispute resolution.
- We charge a fixed survey fee of £300 (no VAT payable).
Damp proofing against rising damp, condensation, penetrating damp and leaking pipes is almost always free to solve.
Damp Surveyor Qualifications
There are really only two forms of qualification for damp survey;
- A Certificated Surveyor of Dampness in Building; after passing written and orals exams by the Property Care Association (a trade body for the damp Proofing industry).
- By relevant experience evidenced by membership of the Institute of Specialist Surveyors and Engineers.
Robert Simon Hichens has both qualifications.
Your peace of mind is our goal. For you to be satisfied that the property will be properly protected against damp now and into the future, not just a short term fix.
- Homebuyer Damp & Timber Report
- Another Damp & Timber Report
- Expert Witness Damp Report
- Homebuyer D&T Report
- Homebuyers Damp Report
- Interstitial Condensation Damp Report
- Vendor Damp Report
- Tenant Damp Report
- Shoddy Builders Damp Report
- Prepurchase Damp Report
- Leaking Roof Damp Report
- Leak Check Damp Report
- Landlords Assessment
- DIY SOS Damp Report – How not to Damp Proof
- Commercial Damp and Timber Report – fungus in Basement